When you turn a manic Monday into Manicure Monday, everything starts to look a little brighter. Although my mani featured here is more than a few days old, I couldn’t help but smile as I typed away on my keyboard at work today. I just got back from a two week vacation and this pretty color helped beat the Monday blues. For those who don’t know, my favorite color is purple so when I came across this lilac nail polish I had to have it. This color is called Pebble by Mineral Fusion, which you can find it at Whole Foods and online.
Aside from this gorgeous color, Mineral Fusion products are FREE of parabens, phthalates, and artificial colors, to name a few.
Why does that matter? Well, here’s what you need to know about a couple of these ingredients found in many beauty products that aren’t so good for your health:
- Phthalates – Pregnant women should generally steer clear of nail polish in general, but if the doctor orders a beauty pick me up, opt for a brand that is phthalate free. Phthalates is a man-made chemical that may contribute to pre-term birth, and there are also claims that it reduces testosterone. If that isn’t scary enough, both the U.S. and Canada have restricted phthalates from children’s products. Pregnant or not, phthalate free is the way to be.
- Parabens – EWG states that parabens are linked to cancer, skin irritation, and so much more. It’s important to remember that our body absorbs whatever we put on our skin. Not only should we be mindful of the food we eat, but we should pay close attention to that tiny list of ingredients on the back of products. If you’re uncertain about a particular ingredient, be sure to make Google, Yahoo, or any other search engine your best friend. Research is key!
If for some reason you forget what I listed above, always remember this. The general rule of thumb in regards to nail polish is to buy 3 free nail polishes. Avoid products with:
- Toluene – Linked to nausea and isn’t so great for your nervous system
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) – Yes, this ingredient helps prevent the nail polish from chipping, but as stated above, phthalate could lead to fertility problems, especially with testosterone levels in boys.
- Formaldehyde – Simply put, it’s a know carcinogen.
When you buy 3 free nail polishes, you’re avoiding these harmful chemicals, otherwise known as the toxic trio. If you’re ever in doubt about whether or not a brand is 3 free, look at the ingredients list on their website or look at the brand’s ratings on Skindeep.
I don’t know about you, but knowing what I’m applying on my nails makes me feel a whole lot better. I absolutely love Mineral Fusion and 3 free products!
What color are you wearing today?